With two decades worth of experience in the East Asian Seas region, PEMSEA continues to champion integrated coastal management (ICM) as a feasible approach to achieve sustainable coastal and ocean development in the region. The establishment of ICM Learning Centers is a step toward this direction, reinforcing intergovernmental, interagency and multistakeholder partnerships, as well as underscoring on-the-ground management actions.
ICM Learning Centers were established as venues for knowledge sharing and transfer of skills on ICM program development and implementation at the local level. PEMSEA has collaborated with several universities in the region that would provide technical assistance to national focal agencies, ICM project sites, local governments, nongovernmental organizations and local communities. ICM Learning Centers across the region support capacity-building activities and other local ICM initiatives.
PEMSEA currently has sixteen ICM Learning Centers established in eight PEMSEA Country Partners.
- Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP), Cambodia
- Coastal and Ocean Management Institute (COMI), Xiamen University, PR China
- Kim Il Sung University, DPR Korea
- Center for Coastal and Marine Resource Studies, Bogor Agricultural University, Indonesia
- Cavite State University, Philippines
- Xavier University-Ateneo de Cagayan, Philippines
- De La Salle University-Lipa, Philippines
- University of the Philippines Visayas, Philippines
- University of Danang, Vietnam
- Burapha University, Thailand
- Prince of Songkla University, Thailand
- National University of Timor Leste, Timor Leste
- Oriental University of Timor Leste, Timor Leste
- Ocean College of Zhejiang University, PR China
- Diponegoro University, Indonesia
- Udayana University, Indonesia