Vacancy: Executive Director
The Executive Director, working under the guidance of the East Asian Seas (EAS) Partnership Council and Executive Committee, and with the collaboration of member countries in the region, provides the necessary leadership for the smooth and effective operation of PEMSEA as a regional coordinating mechanism for the implementation of the Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia (SDS-SEA).
Supporting the Executive Director are different units of the PEMSEA Resource Facility (PRF) which fall under four major components, i.e. Executive Director's Office; Administration, Finance and Human Resources Office; Policy and Planning Office; and Project Implementation Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervising and coordinating the four major offices of the PRF, particularly in terms of programme planning, development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation, in accordance with the decisions of the EAS Partnership Council and Executive Committee regarding the governance of PEMSEA and the implementation of the SDS-SEA.
- Facilitating the implementation of the six major strategies and programme of activities of the SDS-SEA, by developing and implementing partnership arrangements aimed at policy and functional integration of government and non-government programs, projects and initiatives related to SDS-SEA implementation.
- Managing the operation of the PRF ensuring cost-effective and efficient management of the office facilities; quality supervision of a multi-disciplined team of PRF staff; guidance for the development of strategies and policies aimed at strengthening PEMSEA as a self-sustaining regional mechanism for the Seas of East Asia; and oversight of the execution, updating and refinement of the 5-year SDS-SEA implementation plan.
- Serving as Executive Secretary to the EAS Partnership Council and its Executive Committee and Chief Executive Officer of PEMSEA, with responsibilities for organizing and coordinating the conduct of the EAS Partnership Council, the Executive Committee, the PNLG, the Twinning Secretariat, and other governance mechanisms of PEMSEA; coordinating the conduct of the triennial EAS Congress; evaluating progress and achievements of Partners and reporting the results to the EAS Partnership Council and the Executive Committee; and completing and disseminating a PEMSEA Accomplishment Report, a report on the implementation of the 5-year SDS-SEA Plan, and other pertinent reports and outcomes on a regular basis.
- Functioning as the Fund Administrator for the SDS-SEA Development Fund, serving as custodian and administrator of the Fund; managing the Fund with due diligence in accordance with the SDS-SEA Development Fund Management Guidelines; receiving, allocating and disbursing funds; recommending to the EAS Partnership Council the investment of funds in accordance with the Investment Management Guidelines; designating the bank or banks in which funds shall be kept; and submitting annual financial reports and audited financial statements to the EAS Partnership Council.
- Undertaking dialogues, consultations and consensus-building with high level policy and decision makers and other stakeholders on the national, regional and global levels with regard to the SDS-SEA implementation and PEMSEA's leadership role in the region with regard to coastal and ocean governance.
- Building linkages and partnership arrangements with concerned international organizations, programs and projects, governmental and non-governmental organizations, the business community and other collaborators regarding the SDS-SEA objectives and targets, including their involvement in joint or collaborative planning, implementation, evaluation and refinement of the regional 5-year SDS-SEA Implementation Plan.
- Mobilizing financial support for the long-term sustainability of PEMSEA and the implementation of the SDS-SEA implementation via strengthening voluntary support from partners, organizing and promoting funding mechanisms to receive and administer funds contributed by donors, enhancing income derived from PEMSEA activities and events, facilitating joint planning and collaborative activities with stakeholders, and advocating the value and benefits of PRF products and services within and outside the region, in accordance with PEMSEA's Financial Sustainability and Communication Plans.
- Pursuing collaboration and partnerships with national and international financing institutions, donor agencies, corporate and private sector entities and sub-regional seas projects and programs with respect to the implementation of SDS-SEA, investments in environmental facilities and services, knowledge-sharing, and joint or collaborative activities.
- Advising Governments and other stakeholders of the changes of status of coastal and marine environment and natural resources through preparation and dissemination of State of Coast reports, and making recommendations on program improvement based on the feedback received.
- Acting on ancillary needs to support the SDS-SEA thrusts and guide the operational units of the PEMSEA Resource Facility.
- Overseeing the preparation of timely progress reports on the implementation of the SDS-SEA for submission to the EAS Partnership Council, in close collaboration with the Country and non-Country Partners, donors and collaborators.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling SDS-SEA, PEMSEA, Partners' and Sponsors' values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of SDS-SEA and PEMSEA Partners
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the diversified social and economic systems, levels of development, culture and traditions of the Seas of East Asia region
- Participates effectively in a team-based information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others
- Has a balance of forward-looking and pragmatic vision, leadership role, multisectoral consensus-building capability, managerial and technical skills, business acumen, knowledge of the region, the participating countries and other major stakeholders, and working experiences relating to coasts and oceans
- Ability to mobilize resources to support the implementation of the SDS-SEA
- Builds strong relationships with member governments, partners and collaborators, and international organizations and financial institutions
- Ability to plan and lead implementation of new systems focused on attaining the ultimate goals of the SDS-SEA
- Leadership caliber and track record in managing intergovernmental and multidisciplinary regional wide programs or projects
- Familiarity with the UN system and agencies, GEF and UNDP rules and practices particularly related to managing a comprehensive, intergovernmental and multi-sectoral programme covering coastal and marine environment and natural resources
- Ability to network among government agencies and non-government stakeholders to address the identified common or shared issues in the SDS-SEA implementation
- High level consultation and interpersonal skills, diplomacy and tact in promoting interaction and cooperation with decision makers and chief executive officers of governments, NGOs and corporate and private sector
Qualifications and Skills Required
Education: At least a Master's degree, or equivalent, in natural or social sciences or other field as related to the management of coastal and marine environment or natural resources. Candidates with doctorate degrees will be considered favorably.
Experience: At least 10 years of relevant experience at an international level/regional or national level, with specialized training and experience in knowledge management.
Language Requirement: Proficiency in written and oral communication skills in English. Knowledge of the language of any participating country in the region is an advantage.
IT Skills: Proficiency in standard computer software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases and the Internet)
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application together with complete Curriculum Vitae to the Recruitment Officer, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the online application form in this page. Kindly indicate the vacancy number and post title when applying (in the subject line) by email.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only those candidates that are shortlisted for interviews will be notified. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information on PEMSEA Resource Facility, please visit the website at www.pemsea.org.