Vacancy: Head, Policy and Planning Office
The Head, Policy and Planning Office plays a key role in ensuring the strategic and operational planning work to guarantee that the PEMSEA's mission and objectives are met, and monitoring wider developments of relevance to the effective and efficient functioning of the PRF operations and activities. S/he will contribute actively to strategic thinking and planning to formulate and implement the 5-year SDS-SEA Implementation Plan, evaluate the progress and make adjustments as necessary to stay on track. S/he will prepare research papers and reports, and will interact with officers at all levels within PEMSEA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within the relevant delegated authority, the Head of the Policy and Planning Office will be responsible for the following duties:
- Organize collaborative planning sessions with Country and Non-country Partners and other interested organizations on a regular basis, to review, assess and update targets and activities in support of the 5-year SDS-SEA Implementation Plan at the national and regional levels.
- Identify priority projects of PEMSEA Country Partners and Non-Country Partners in support of the SDS-SEA objectives and targets, and determine funding requirements and capacity needs.
- Build working relationships with donors and other potential sponsors to ascertain focus areas and project opportunities for projects and activities at the sub-national, national and regional levels.
- Plan and develop priority projects in collaboration with Country and Non-Country Partners, Sponsoring Organizations and other regional stakeholders
- Develop and maintain a dossier of project proposals for funding by donors and other potential sponsors.
- Organize activities/events designed to promote projects/initiatives among Country and Non-country Partners, donors, international organizations and the business sector (e.g., EAS Partnership Council; EAS Congress; CSR Forum).
- Develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation system as part of collaborative planning, evaluation and updating of the 5-year SDS-SEA Implementation Plan, working closely with the Executive Director’s Office, the Project Implementation Office and the Finance, Administration and Human Resources Office.
- Plan, organize and manage the work of the Policy and Planning Office, as well as assisting in the management of the PRF by drafting Office input into budget documents, human resource management plans as well as drafting of terms of reference and proposals for the appointment of Core Staff, Project Staff, Partnership Officers, Program Support, PEMSEA Expert Advisory Group, RTF/NTF support staff, consultants, etc., as required.
- Lead the coordination of activities and processes related to strategic planning and results-based management including coordination with the Executive Director’s Office and the Finance, Administration and Human Resources Office to provide guidance on strategic planning.
- Lead the development, implementation and co-ordination of PEMSEA’s Communication Plan, including dissemination of information on progress, achievements, products and services to Partners, donors, international organizations and the business sector through multi-media outlets, and the organization of initiatives and events designed to raise awareness of PEMSEA, its objectives and achievements at regional and national levels.
- Undertake studies and analyses of strategic planning and policy approaches of other entities/agencies, in particular on results-based management and provide information/guidance to the PRF senior management on these issues, including analyses of options for possible improvement of PRF in emerging issues of key importance.
- Manage, guide, develop and train staff under her/his supervision. Provide staff members with clear objectives, goals, direction, guidance and appropriate tools to enable them to meet their responsibilities effectively and efficiently.
- Perform other official duties and special assignments, which may be requested by the Executive Director.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling SDS-SEA, PEMSEA, Partners’ and Sponsors’ values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of SDS-SEA and PEMSEA Partners
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the diversified social and economic systems, levels of development, culture, regions and traditions of the Seas of East Asia region
- Participates effectively in a team-based information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others
- Has a balance of forward-looking and pragmatic vision, leadership role, multisectoral consensus-building capability, managerial and technical skills, business acumen, knowledge of the region, the participating countries and other major stakeholders, and working experiences relating to coasts and oceans
- Ability to mobilize resources to support the implementation of the SDS-SEA
- Builds strong relationships with member governments, partners and collaborators, and international organizations and financial institutions
- Ability to plan and lead implementation of new systems focused on attaining the ultimate goals of the SDS-SEA
- Ability to network among government agencies and non-government stakeholders to address the identified common or shared issues in the SDS-SEA implementation
- High level consultation and interpersonal skills, diplomacy and tact in promoting interaction and cooperation with decision makers and chief executive officers of governments, NGO’s and corporate and private sector
Qualifications and Skills Required
Education: At least a Master’s degree, or equivalent, in natural or social sciences, business administration or management. Candidates with doctorate degrees will be considered favorably.
Experience: At least 10 years of relevant experience at an international level/regional or national level, with specialized training and experience in planning and development.
Language Requirement: Proficiency in written and oral communication skills in English. Knowledge of the language of any participating country in the region is an advantage.
IT Skills: Proficiency in standard computer software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases and the Internet)
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application together with complete Curriculum Vitae to the Recruitment Officer, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the online application form in this page. Kindly indicate the vacancy number and post title when applying (in the subject line) by email.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only those candidates that are shortlisted for interviews will be notified. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information on PEMSEA Resource Facility, please visit the website at www.pemsea.org.