("Mangrove" by PEMSEA/Klienne Eco)
Guidelines for the Photo Contest
(Part of the wider EAS Futures competition)
Achieving sustainability throughout East Asia’s coasts and oceans matters to all, but is particularly crucial for the region’s youth, who will not only benefit from sustainability, but ensure it is carried on into the future. Youth involvement in sustainability initiatives is crucial for their long-term implementation and success.
PEMSEA strongly believes in the need to involve youth in the future of our shared seas. As part of this. With the close cooperation and support of the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, RO Korea, PEMSEA is hosting a series of regional competitions to generate, interest, awareness, and engagement.
The photo competition aims to feature the youth’s unique perspectives and contributions to the sustainable development of the marine environment. We hope it encourages more youth to become aware of what initiatives are happening in their local area.
These photos can showcase any work that serves to improve the long-term sustainability of coastal and ocean areas, be it through enhancing ecosystem resilience, increasing mitigation of and adaptation to climate change, reducing disaster risk, reducing and managing pollution, or any other effort that catches the photographers eye.
Turtle of Apo Island by Simon Hilborne
Grand winner of the 2017 PEMSEA Photo competition
Sustaining the oceans and coasts:
a) Ocean and coasts as source of food and livelihood,
b) Ocean and coasts as habitat and ecosystems,
c) Protecting and conserving coastal and shore biodiversity,
d) Responsible and sustainable tourism,
e) Addressing marine and riverine pollution, and
f) Coastal adaptation to climate change.
- Open to a) high school students, b) university students, and c) amateur photographers up to 30 years old.
- Each entry must be an original photo taken in one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, DPR Korea, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Philippines, RO Korea, Singapore, Timor-Leste, Thailand, or Viet Nam
- Maximum of 3 entries per participant.
- Original work.
- Taken within at least 1 year before the date of entry
- May not have won any other Photography contest, or be commercially published whether for news, advertising or otherwise.
- Photos must be in a digital format, at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image); be not larger that 10 Mb; and be at least 300 dpi.
- Post processing of the image is limited to minor cropping and minor color correction. Photo manipulation is not allowed.
- The caption must be complete and accurate, and sufficient to convey the circumstances in which the photograph was taken. Disguising or misrepresenting the origin of your content is cause for disqualification.
- Watermarks, date stamps, or any text on the image are unacceptable.
- The image should not feature any person, group, or organization without their consent. By submitting the photo, participants guarantee that all necessary subject matter permissions are acquired.
- All information should be sent in English.
Fresh Catch by Jarrett Laabs
1st runner up of the 2017 PEMSEA Photo competition
- Relevance to the theme
- Strength of the message the photo conveys
- Visual appeal
- Composition and Clarity
- 1st prize - USD 500
- 2nd prize - USD 300
- 3rd prize - USD 100
- Sponsor’s Choice – USD 100
Submission of Photos
- Fill out the Official Entry Form.
- Provide proof of age/education status.
- Filename of the photo must be in the format “SURNAME_EntryNumber_[TITLE]”
- Email Entry Form, photos, and proofs to email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contestants are also welcome to share their entries with PEMSEA’s twitter account (@PEMSEA)
- Entries must be received on or before 1 March 2021, 23:59 Philippine Time (UTC+8)
By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/ publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph.
By entering the Contest, all entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive license to Authorized Parties (PEMSEA and Sponsor), to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, for no additional compensation, including, but not limited to: display at a potential exhibition of winners; publication of a book featuring select entries in the Contest; and publication in reports or online highlighting entries or winners of the Contest.
Entrants consent to Authorized parties doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use as authorized by the License.
Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Authorized Parties the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likeliness of Contest entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion, except where prohibited by law. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
Limitation of Liability
By entering this Contest, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless Sponsor and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
The sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials to in this Contest.
Entries are void if Sponsor determines the photograph to not be an original, or if the entries are incomplete, inaccessible or blocked, corrupted, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.