("Chasing Jackfishes" by PEMSEA/Ashley Equi)
Guidelines for the Video Competition
(Part of the wider EAS Futures competition)
Achieving sustainability throughout East Asia’s coasts and oceans matters to all, but is particularly crucial for the region’s youth. They will not only benefit the most from improved sustainability, but also ensure it is carried on into the future. Youth involvement in sustainability initiatives is crucial for their long-term implementation and success.
PEMSEA strongly believes in the need to involve youth in the future of our shared seas. As part of this, with the close cooperation and support of the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, RO Korea, PEMSEA is hosting events to develop and support youth interest and engagement in our shared seas.
This video competition aims to showcase the understanding the youth have of their oceans, and highlight the creativity and firmness with which they can share their knowledge, understanding, plans, and dreams.
The videos can have any subject associated with the theme Coastal communities, life with the ocean. Examples might be best practices in the local area, the actions of local youth, and/or local issues or challenges. It should be a 3 to 5-minute video, created entirely from material filmed/created by youth.
Coastal communities, life with the ocean.
- Open to a) high school students, b) university students, and c) young professionals up to 30 years old.
- Entry must be an original video filmed in one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, DPR Korea, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Philippines, RO Korea, Singapore, Timor-Leste, Thailand, or Viet Nam
Video entry specifications
- A single entry per individual or team.
- All members of a team must fall within the same eligibility category. All participants must be credited.
- Must be between 3 and 5 minutes.
- Original work, primarily consisting of film taken within the past year.
- Must be related to the theme of Coastal communities, life with the oceans.
- Creativity is encouraged! There is no set structure. The film could be a mini-documentary, a series of interviews, or tell a story.
- Video quality must be at least 720p
- May not have won any other contest, or be commercially published whether for news, advertising or otherwise.
- Videos must come with a maximum 300 word summary, which explains the topic of the video, and describes where it was filmed.
- The film should not feature any person, group, or organization without their consent. By submitting the video, participants guarantee that all necessary subject matter permissions are acquired.
- Credits should be included for all those involved in the production of the video.
- All information should be sent in English, and the video should include English subtitle if in another language.
- Relevance to the theme
- Strength of message
- Composition and editing
- 1st prize - USD 750
- 2nd prize - USD 350
- 3rd prize - USD 200
Submission of Videos
- Fill out the Official Entry Form.
- One participant should be designated as the main submitter.
- Provide proof of age/education status.
- Filename of the video must be in the format “SURNAME_VIDEOTITLE”
- Email Entry Form, proofs, and video to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com, OR
- Email Entry Form, proofs, and video link (youtube, vimeo, dailymotion) to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com
- If uploaded, please include #EASFuturesVideoCompetition as well as all involved names in the video description.
- Entries must be received on or before 1 October 2022, 23:59 Philippine Time (UTC+8)
By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted video is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the video does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/ publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the video.
By entering the Contest, all entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive license to Authorized Parties (PEMSEA and Sponsor), to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, for no additional compensation, including, but not limited to: display at a potential exhibition of winners; publication of a book featuring screenshots from select entries in the Contest; and publication in reports or online highlighting entries or winners of the Contest.
Entrants consent to Authorized parties doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use as authorized by the License.
Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Authorized Parties the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likeliness of Contest entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion, except where prohibited by law. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
Limitation of Liability
By entering this Contest, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless Sponsor and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
The sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials to in this Contest.
Entries are void if Sponsor determines the video to not be an original, if it contains any unoriginal and unlicenced footage, or if the entries are incomplete, inaccessible or blocked, corrupted, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.